In a new BBC TV series presented by Michael Wood, The Great British Story looks at history through the eyes of ordinary people, uncovering what life was like for everyday Britons over the last 1600 years. The Society of Genealogists will be taking part in the largest of the local BBC road-shows linking in with the series. Come and meet the SoG and ask us about tracing your family history and get help and advice from Family History Experts, the SoG Census Detectives, SoG authors and local family historians.
The Great British Story: Bexley
A free BBC local history event.
Saturday 23 June 2012, 10am – 4pm
Hall Place and Gardens, Bourne Road, Bexley, DA5 1PQ
This is a ticketed event and tickets are only availlable from the BBC events website. Apply for your FREE tickets here, or by calling 03709 011227
For map and more information about the Great British Story Events see the BBC website events pages
Now it’s your chance to get involved! Come along to a BBC local history event, discover Bexley’s fascinating history and learn how to delve into your own past. Find out more about family history, archaeology, oral history, artefacts and local heritage.
Find YOUR place in history:
· Listen to historian, broadcaster and writer Michael Wood discussing The Great British Story
· Track down your ancestors with help and advice from family history experts and hear Else Churchill from the Society of Genealogists talk on Finding Your London Ancestors
· Learn how experts conserve and protect treasures from the Museum of London
· Find out how to date your old photos, if you’ve inherited an family photo bring it along to find out more
· Learn how to discover the history of your home using local archive sources
· Discover Bexley’s archaeological treasures and show your own mystery finds to our experts
· Explore the history of Bexley through local heroes, landmarks, working lives and industrial heritage
· Take part in a reminiscence session and share your memories of working in and around the Thames Gateway
· Plus a full programme of talks will run throughout the day
and much more…
The event is open to ticket holders only. Apply for free tickets by visiting bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/events or by calling 03709 011227
Please note the SoG does not have tickets for this event