All the talk of family history stories around the Christmas dinner table makes the festive period the perfect time to focus on building your family tree. The Society of Genealogists has been helping family historians for 100 years and is delighted to support Start Your Family Tree Week 26 December –1 January. Follow this link for our free information leaflet Start Your Family History with the Society of Genealogists with all the useful web links and guides to sources you need; follow our Ten Tips for Starting Your Family History or keep the kids occupied with the challenge to record their family tree on our 4 Generation Pedigree Chart and Quiz.
Each day from Boxing Day until New Year’s Day, findmypast.co.uk, sponsors of the Society of Genealogists’ Centenary Year will be giving you a helping hand on your journey into your past. Look at the findmypast website for the Start Your Family Tree Week daily hints, tips and activities to help you research your family tree. Discover some of the great prizes the Society of Genealogists, findmypast and other partners are offering for family historians throughout the week including* :-
- A day tracing your family tree with famous genealogist, Else Churchill at the Society of Genealogists in London – using the resources of the SoG and looking at aspects of their research. The prize includes return travel by train to London from within the UK and two nights’ accommodation in London for the winner and a guest
- 1 free membership of the Society of Genealogists in our centenary year
- 1 ticket to a day course at the Society of Genealogists, London: ‘Family History for Beginners and Refreshers’ with Geoff Swinfield on Saturday 5 March 2011.
- Society of Genealogists‘ publications
- 1 x My Ancestor was an Agricultural Labourer by Ian Waller
- 1 x My Ancestors were Londoners by Cliff Webb
- 1 x My Ancestor was an Apprentice by Stuart Raymond
- 1 x My Ancestor was in Service by Pamela Horn
- 1 x My Ancestor was in the British Army by Chris and Michael Watts
- A free start your family history beginners session at the Society of Genealogists with community officer Ashley Young who can help anyone start using computers and get the most from free online resources at the Society of Genealogists Library, such as findmypast.co.uk and other online family history sites usually only available on pay-per view or subscription
The Society of Genealogists would like to wish all our friends and members a very happy Christmas and all the best for 2011 the SoG Centenary Year
*A complete list of prizes for Start Your Family History Week and terms and conditions can be found here