Society of Genealogists shut for New Year and Closed Week – reopens Tuesday 11 January
The Society of Genealogists will be closed from 4pm Thursday 30 December and will reopen to members and the public on Tuesday 11th January at 10am . Bookshop and events orders can still be placed online and will be dispatched during the week commencing 11 January 2011.
During the first week of January the Society will be working on various projects in the library and stocktaking. Our first lecture when we reopen in the New Year will be on Wednesday 12 Jan at 11.30 with Tim Lawrence speaking on Using the Society of Genealogists’ Members Area Website and outlining the new developments for SoG data in the future. Tickets for this lecture are free but can be booked online via the SoG online shop
Each day from Boxing Day until New Year’s Day, findmypast.co.uk, sponsors of the Society of Genealogists’ Centenary Year have giving you a helping hand on your journey into your past. Look at their website for the Start Your Family Tree Week daily hints, tips and activities to help you research your family tree.
Look at the findmypast website for the Start Your Family Tree Week daily hints, tips and activities to help you research your family tree. Discover some of the great prizes the Society of Genealogists, findmypast and other partners are offering for family historians throughout the week including* :-
- A day tracing your family tree with famous genealogist, Else Churchill at the Society of Genealogists in London – using the resources of the SoG and looking at aspects of their research. The prize includes return travel by train to London from within the UK and two nights’ accommodation in London for the winner and a guest
- 1 free membership of the Society of Genealogists in our centenary year
- 1 ticket to a day course at the Society of Genealogists, London: ‘Family History for Beginners and Refreshers’ with Geoff Swinfield on Saturday 5 March 2011.
- Society of Genealogists‘ publications
- 1 x My Ancestor was an Agricultural Labourer by Ian Waller
- 1 x My Ancestors were Londoners by Cliff Webb
- 1 x My Ancestor was an Apprentice by Stuart Raymond
- 1 x My Ancestor was in Service by Pamela Horn
- 1 x My Ancestor was in the British Army by Chris and Michael Watts
- A free start your family history beginners session at the Society of Genealogists with community officer Ashley Young who can help anyone start using computers and get the most from free online resources at the Society of Genealogists Library, such as findmypast.co.uk and other online family history sites usually only available on pay-per view or subscription
Make it your New Year’s resolution to carry on researching your family history – imagine what you can show your family next year.
© 2010, Society of Genealogists. All rights reserved.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!