Friday, June 3rd, 2011 at
Are you stuck for an idea for a Fathers Day Gift for July 19th? Then buy him something that will captivate his interest in genealogy and provide an entertaning hobby for years to come. Membership of the Society of Genealogists allows free access to the Society’s remarkable library; on line data on our wesite and discounts on our books, events and courses.
The Society of Genealogists Gift Certfificate for one year’s membership can be ordered direct from the Society’s online shop
This is a great gift for a family historian. You will receive a gift certificate, application form and membership pack to pass onto the lucky recipient. To activate the membership, the recipient will need to complete the application form and return it to the Society of Genealogists by post or upon their first visit to the society.
Membership of the Society of Genealogists costs just £45 a year for the UK (£43 by diret debit) and £27 a year for overseas members. There is a one-off joining admin fee of £10 in the first year.
More details of SoG membership benefits and information about the Society’s remarkable library can be found on the Society’s website
Thursday, December 30th, 2010 at
The Society of Genealogists will be closed from 4pm Thursday 30 December and will reopen to members and the public on Tuesday 11th January at 10am . Bookshop and events orders can still be placed online and will be dispatched during the week commencing 11 January 2011.
During the first week of January the Society will be working on various projects in the library and stocktaking. Our first lecture when we reopen in the New Year will be on Wednesday 12 Jan at 11.30 with Tim Lawrence speaking on Using the Society of Genealogists’ Members Area Website and outlining the new developments for SoG data in the future. Tickets for this lecture are free but can be booked online via the SoG online shop
However there is still plenty for all those who have taken part in Start Your Family Tree Week.
Each day from Boxing Day until New Year’s Day, findmypast.co.uk, sponsors of the Society of Genealogists’ Centenary Year have giving you a helping hand on your journey into your past. Look at their website for the Start Your Family Tree Week daily hints, tips and activities to help you research your family tree.
Look at the findmypast website for the Start Your Family Tree Week daily hints, tips and activities to help you research your family tree. Discover some of the great prizes the Society of Genealogists, findmypast and other partners are offering for family historians throughout the week including* :-
- A day tracing your family tree with famous genealogist, Else Churchill at the Society of Genealogists in London – using the resources of the SoG and looking at aspects of their research. The prize includes return travel by train to London from within the UK and two nights’ accommodation in London for the winner and a guest
- 1 free membership of the Society of Genealogists in our centenary year
- 1 ticket to a day course at the Society of Genealogists, London: ‘Family History for Beginners and Refreshers’ with Geoff Swinfield on Saturday 5 March 2011.
- Society of Genealogists‘ publications
- 1 x My Ancestor was an Agricultural Labourer by Ian Waller
- 1 x My Ancestors were Londoners by Cliff Webb
- 1 x My Ancestor was an Apprentice by Stuart Raymond
- 1 x My Ancestor was in Service by Pamela Horn
- 1 x My Ancestor was in the British Army by Chris and Michael Watts
- A free start your family history beginners session at the Society of Genealogists with community officer Ashley Young who can help anyone start using computers and get the most from free online resources at the Society of Genealogists Library, such as findmypast.co.uk and other online family history sites usually only available on pay-per view or subscription
Make it your New Year’s resolution to carry on researching your family history – imagine what you can show your family next year.
Monday, December 27th, 2010 at
Download the free information leaflet with all the links to sources and sites to help you Start Your Family History with the Society of Genealogists
Check out the great prizes from the Society of Genealogists and the Start Your Family Tree Partners
Eneclann – www.startyourfamilytree.ie
Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Society of Genealogists www.societyofgenealogists.com
My History www.my-history.co.uk
Race Online www.raceonline2012.org
Sunday, December 26th, 2010 at
Have you started your Family Tree yet? Use the Ten Tips from the Society of Genealogists to get your family history started.
Take the opportunity on Boxing Day to complete your first activity for Start Your Family History Week. Ask all your relatives what they know about your family history.
Start Your Family Tree Week Partner findmypast.co.uk has some useful tips on interviewing family relatives